The Graduate Program in Civil Engineering (PPGECI) of the Federal University of Latin American Integration (UNILA) was approved by Capes in October 2016 and ratified on December 28th of the same year. The activities began in March 2017. The Program was designed with the aim of creating professionals that have the necessary interdisciplinary competence to integrate the technological, environmental and social and economic factors in planning, dimensioning, building and managing/exploring resilient and sustainable infrastructures.
PPGECI | UNILA was the first educational opportunity at stricto sensu graduate level in the field of Civil Engineering in the Western region of the state of Paraná, as well as in the three-border region shared by Foz do Iguaçu-BR, Ciudad del Este-PY and Puerto Iguazu-AR. Therefore it created conditions for the development of scientific and applied research in the fields of structures, sustainability and innovation and eco-efficiecy of building materials.
The challenges faced by Civil Engineering have been intensifying and becoming more complex over time, which is why engineering has begun to require a more holistic approach to problems that involves the interaction of multiple areas of knowledge. The nature of UNILA allows PPGECI to be based on interdisciplinarity, because it involves a faculty from different nationalities and fields of knowledge, all of whom are in pursuit of a common goal which is studying and proposing solutions to the multiple challenges that exist in the context of the Built Environment that apply to contemporary societies.
To become a reference in the next four years (until 2028) regarding the development of human resources and the production of scientific and technological knowledge of excellence in the three-border region (Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina), in accordance with consolidated international standards.
The mission of the Graduate Program in Civil Engineering (PPGECI/UNILA) is to promote education and research of excellence, training human resources who are committed to the development of concepts, models, materials, projects, processes, buildings and/or resilient and sustainable infrastructures.
The main goal of PPGECI is to develop professionals whose skills are focused on the conception, design, planning, management, dimensioning, construction, maintenance and decommissioning of buildings and/or engineering and architectural enterprises, while paying attention to technical, economic and social and environmental issues, in favor of society and its sustainable development.
The main specific objectives of the course are the following:
- To contribute to the development of innovative processes and technologies which can improve the materials and performance of engineering infrastructures.
- To contribute to the development of projects for new resilient reinforced and prestressed concrete structures and the rehabilitation/reinforcement of existing structures by means of analytical studies which are integrated to laboratory tests, in situ monitoring and robust computational analysis.
- To promote sustainable processes of planning and managing constructions by conducting research on materials, particularly concerning the extension of their life cycle and the improvement of their energy efficiency.
- To contribute to the integration of the environmental aspects and impacts in the process of waste reuse and management.
- To contribute to the development of eco-efficient materials and new technologies which can improve the performance of engineering materials.
- 6) To develop solutions for projects of resilient structures which can meet the lifespan of the project and be maintainable.
- To contribute to the improvement and development of methods of advanced calculus with a focus on projects of resilient structures that are durable and safe.
- To develop studies aimed at life cycle assessment for several sectors related to the civil construction industry.
- To develop engineering projects and solutions which are demanded by agents of the three-border region, aiming at the integration of university and society.
- To develop engineering and architecture professionals by means of the graduate program both from the region and from Latin America in general, so that we can gradually promote the dissemination and solidification of applied scientific knowledge.
The graduate from the Graduate Program in Civil Engineering is a professional who has the capacity of making questions and setting goals related to their field of research and other related fields, with independence and maturity so that they can develop work that is unprecedented in terms of science, technology and innovation.
Thus, graduates can develop their future doctorate project, develop new technologies, work in research laboratories, in the education field, as well as in the production chain in engineering, architecture and other sectors.